Blason of marquess de
SHORT HISTORIC of VISSEC's Castle
The House of Vissec is one of the most ancient and of the most considerable of Languedoc. We owe its origin to lands and castle of the same name at the end of the dioceses of Lodève and Alès . The former Lords of Vissec added to the titles of their land, the quality of powerful Lords. This title was worn by three bishops in the XIVth century and was especially illustrated by the family Vissec de Latude. On November 2nd, 1570, Jacques de Montfaucon, Lord of Vissec, presiding over the court of the helps of Montpellier, becomes First Consul and attends the general States of the province to Beaucaire.
Vissec depends on the barony of Hierle.
August 27th, 1628, duke of Rohan gives the order to Fulcran II d' Assas to shave totally the castle, the houses of the village of Vissec and the mill of Foux. In September, learning that the auctioning of the rasement gave nothing, he orders the viguerie of Le_Vigan to send one called Carrier with 60 soldiers and 120 pioneers and masons.
On December 22nd, 1628, Carrier demands the payment of all the expenses of his troop which stayed in Vissec until whole demolition. If ramparts and defensive points were thrown, Christophe de Montfaucon, baron of Vissec, baron of Hierle can again live in what remains buildings.
Pierre de Montfaucon has the fortress repaired by 1646.
On July 22nd, 1654, Pierre de Montfaucon and his band are condemned to death, further to all their exactions (murders, rapes, plunders). September 15th, 1655, rasement of the fortifications of Vissec is added to this condemnation, and the filling of ditches. The dismantling takes place from 26 till 28 June 1656, but Pierre de Montfaucon always runs. He is arrested in 1660 and imprisoned in the Sedan citadel. In 1668, He is released thanks to the intervention of the prince of Conti, Louis Armand de Bourbon-Conti.
Anne-Jacquette du Faur de Pibrac, the second wife of Pierre manages Vissec, for her husband, then for her son Michel. Michel de Montfaucon, marquess of Vissec, baron of Hierle lives in Vigan, but also stays at Vissec, in the part of the feudal castle, reorganized in manor house, (by his mother?) confronting at sunset the place which had to be the place of the primitive church, endowed with a sauveté, destroyed probably in 1628.
In the death of Anne de Crouzet, widow of Michel Marc Antoine Caesar de Montfaucon, in 1762, Jean de La Tour du Pin de Gouvernet, brother in law from the deceased, inherits possessions and titles of Vissec, by replacement.
In 1792, the possessions belonging to Alexandre-César de La Tour du Pin, marquess of Vissec become national possessions. The castle is plundered, we remove any tracks of blazons, we kick down doors, as well as the parquets of the first floor. Lots are established for the auctioning of the domain. Mister Jean-Jacques Capion, solicitor in Vigan, buys them all except one, who exclusively consists of lands and who is bought by inhabitants of Vissec. On October 7th, 1862, Louis-Eugène Capion, owner in Vigan, sells to Joseph Bourrier, owner to Roquenouze, municipality of Vissec, a small domain situated to Vissec understanding a house with stable and dependences, mentioned so in the bill of sale, previously called the castle, a small independent stable, the ruins of the former castle, a ploughable land below the road face to face of the house known indicated an adjacent vineyardaudit field, a field mulberry trees and pear trees in the ground of Peyssel, in brief all the lands which the salesman possesses in the municipality of Vissec but independents nevertheless of the domain of Roquenouze.